The 2nd Monday is January is designated as Clean Off Your Desk Day so the new year is a great time to focus your energy on clearing piles in your home office. Following are tips that will help you conquer the paper piles in your home office so you can see the top of your desk.
- Designate a place to keep files ( filing cabinet, file box)
- Begin a list of the documents you need to keep (financial. employment, medical)
Working Through The Piles
- Talk with your CPA or Tax Accountant and discuss what you need to keep and for how long
- Keep current documents (2015-2016) in filing cabinet
- Develop an archive or scan older tax returns and other documents (2014 and earlier)
- Toss or shred documents that you no longer need to keep
- Designate a specific spot in your home to place incoming mail
- Open mail by recycling bin to toss inserts that you don’t need
- Shred mail with personal information
- Avoid additional clutter by deciding which catalogs/magazines you will keep and remove your name from those you are no longer are interested in reading
- File or scan statements once you have checked them for accuracy
- Set aside time each week to open mail and file/scan statements, pay stubs, etc.
- Remember piles are created because we delay making decisions about the paper that comes into our lives. Start today deciding to reduce the paper piles in your life by conquering your clutter.
Janet M. Taylor is a professional organizer, speaker and author with over 20 years of experience helping people get organized. If you are ready to get your life visit her website at www.janetmtaylor.com